Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips and Deadlines for 2022 – 2023
In this series of essays, Michigan Ross tries to figure out who you are and what drives you. It attracts thousands of applicants each year as a top-tier MBA program. Michigan looks for three primary attributes when considering prospects for admission: Academic Excellence, Intellectual Vitality and Extracurricular Activities. Ross places considerable emphasis on community involvement, interpersonal communication, as well as teamwork abilities. Some main qualities that the school looks for in the applications are Entrepreneurial mindset, Team leadership, Social intelligence, Community leadership, Integrity and Analytical ability. Keeping this in mind, let’s see how Mentor Mpact can help you write Michigan’s essays.
PART 1: Short Answer Questions
Select one prompt from each group. Respond to your selected prompts using 100 words or fewer (<100 words each; 200 words total).
- I want people to know that I:
- I made a difference when I:
- I was aware that I was different when:
- I am out of my comfort zone when:
- I was humbled when:
- I was challenged when:
Keep track that the purpose of these short answers should be to get to understand you personally, not your list of accomplishments. Ross places considerable emphasis on community involvement, interpersonal communication, as well as teamwork abilities. When considering your short answers, consider writing about an essential extracurricular experience, a challenging problem you overcame, or a life event that exemplifies something unique regarding your background. The questions are brief and to the point. The perspectives you describe should be distinct and stand on their own.
The very first open-ended prompt invites you to discuss something you are proud of, such as a personal characteristic or experience. You might also give an example of a time when you made a real difference to an organisation or person, or when you progressed an important cause, in the next prompt. Subsequently, the final prompt asks you to describe how you are special. Consider what distinguishes you from others and what unique characteristics you will introduce to Ross. Group 2 is more concerned with your reaction to things that have happened and your personality. Furthermore, it could be an essay describing your personal achievements. In essence, this is your chance to shine with the finest work, school, as well as relationship stories.
PART 2: Short-answer question
Pick one thing from your resume and tell us more. (100 words)
It is a straightforward question but is tricky when considered in detail. The resume details are quite open to the college, but they want you to decide what is the most important aspect from it and how well you know the efforts and the final impacts! To answer this essay, you can choose any personal or professional achievement or maybe any course that you have learnt the most from! And, then just use the STAR approach – Situation, Task, Approach and Result to answer the details in sequence. Do not forget to deeply explain how YOUR inputs contributed to the Results. Results/Impacts in numbers are always a Plus!
PART 3: Career Goal
What is your short-term goal? (25 words)
Why is this the right short-term career goal for you? (150 words)
This is a career objective question focused on why you should attend Michigan Ross and how it will help you attain your goals. Your course of action for this essay can be as follows:
- You must outline your professional ambitions in this essay and briefly explain why they are realistic for you in the context of your career progression to date. Keep in mind that this question is simply both for short and long-term goals, so make sure you answer your short term goals considering your long-term route in mind. Your short-term goal profession should ideally transition to your long-term goal career, and an MBA degree is required for both courses. If you’ve had a diverse background or goal, it can be an advantage to demonstrate how you will make a contribution to this environment in which everyone flourishes.
- Then you must consider how you will use and engage with the school’s resources to seek and achieve your objectives. Look for meaningful connections between your interests and goals and the things you plan to engage in, not just a few program options. The admissions committee does not anticipate that you will have all of the necessary experience for your career aspirations right away. They do, however, want to understand that you recognize the skills required for your future profession.
- Make sure you list down the things both ways i.e. how Michigan’s resources will help you attain your goals, and on the other side how will you help Michigan’s community to grow and prosper. You’re basically breaking things down into a give-and-take scenario.
You will be able to answer this question fully and confidently if you conduct thorough research about your career path and the possibilities available at Michigan.
Is there something in your resume or application that could use some explanation? You might want to discuss the completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.
This optional essay gives you the opportunity to explain anything which is unclear in your application. Furthermore, any explanation should also include the reasons why you will excel in your college programs at Ross. Finally, keep in mind that you should never use the optional essay if the information in your application is self-explanatory.
- You may use this place to highlight any extenuating circumstances that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (e.g. unexplained gaps in job experience, recommender selection, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, areas of weakness, etc.).
- Disciplinary action in undergrad could also be an important topic. Begin by simply and briefly stating the problem. Then, illustrate how you’ve improved and addressed any concerns using evidence.
- Furthermore, if you have a gap in your work experience, this is the spot to fill it. As a result, describe what you’ve been doing during the break. Also, take the time to explain rather than excuse.
- Finally, talk about how you want to keep the momentum going.
Michigan Ross MBA Application Deadlines 2022-2023
All applications are due by 11:59 pm ET on the date listed.
|Round Application||Deadline||Decision Notification|
|Round 1||September 19, 2022||December 9, 2022|
|Round 2||January 9, 2023||March 17, 2023|
|Round 3||April 3, 2023||May 5, 2023|
MentorMpact is an end-to-end college admissions consulting and counselling firm. At MentorMpact, we work with the students and for the students. We value the trust you put in us and we creatively partner with you to accomplish your dream school admission. Our endeavor is to provide the best for our clients. If you’d like to speak with our admissions experts about your candidature, sign up here for a free session.